[council] Spec. 13 notification email from ICANN

Volker Greimann vgreimann at key-Systems.net
Tue Apr 15 09:01:13 UTC 2014

Hi Ching,

I just reviewed the application process description, and it includes
this passage:

/The New gTLD Program Committee (“NGPC”) has also approved the possible
incorporation of an additional clause into Specification 13, with
implementation to take effect no earlier than May 12, 2014, to provide
the GNSO Council an opportunity to advise ICANN regarding Policy
Recommendation 19 on the Introduction of New Generic Top Level Domains.
If the additional clause is incorporated into Specification 13, and if
ICANN determines that the TLD qualifies as a .Brand TLD, the Registry
Agreement for the TLD will include the form of Specification 13 attached
as //*Attachment 2 *//to this .Brand TLD Application Process. If, as a
result of GNSO Council advice or otherwise, Specification 13 is further
modified, an applicant for a TLD that has been determined by ICANN to
qualify as a .Brand TLD will be offered the opportunity to execute an
amendment incorporating such modified Specification 13 as part of the
Registry Agreement. /

//
Notably, the Spec 13 attached in Attachment 1 does not include the
passage that we have been asked to comment on, only the version in
Attachment 2 does. It therefore can be argued that ICANN staff has
implemented the board decision authorizing /the President and CEO, or
his designee, to take all necessary steps to implement Specification 13
to the New //gTLD//Registry Agreement consistent with this resolution/
correctly, by implementing the spec without incorporating the additional
clause. The clause would only come into effect if it is incorporated at
a later time, or never, depending on our response and the ultimate NGPC
decision.

This process does not substantially affect our task, however it puts us
on the clock.

Best regards,

Volker