[council] Request for assistance in recruiting experts for IDN Variant LGR Panels

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Wed Apr 16 16:42:55 UTC 2014

Dear Councilors,

Please see the email below, which I am forwarding on behalf of Cyrus Namazi
and our colleagues working on ICANN's IDN Variants Project.

Since no IDN variants can be delegated into the root zone unless and until a
set of uniform label generation rulesets (LGRs) have been developed and
integrated for each community's script, we are very much in need of
technical and linguistic experts who can serve as LGR panel members. Cyrus
and his team will therefore be extremely grateful if you could assist us by
forwarding the information and request below to your community and contacts
so that we can quickly populate each LGR panel.

At the moment, LGR panels are needed for the following 17 scripts (which
represent IDN TLD applications in both the New gTLD and ccTLD IDN programs):
Arabic, Hebrew, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Cyrillic, Greek, Latin, Bengali,
Devanagari, Gujarati, Gurmukhi, Sinhala, Tamil, Telugu, Thai and Georgian.
ICANN's call for LGR panelists, with further details about the type of
qualifications required, can be accessed at
http://www.icann.org/en/resources/idn/variant-tlds/call-for-panels-lgr-11jul
13-en.pdf.

Cyrus' email follows below:

Dear GNSO Council members,

I am reaching out to ask for your help in recruiting volunteers to establish
and participate in panels to define Label Generation Rules (LGRs) for the
root zone.  There is a pressing need for these panels, as LGRs must be
established for each script in order to create a set of rules for IDNA
labels in the root zone.

As you know the root zone of the Internet is expanding to include a wide
range of new labels, including Top-Level Domains (TLDs) in non-Latin
scripts. To deliver on the promise of ³One World, One Internet² it is
essential to ensure that scripts and languages are represented accurately
and comprehensively in the root of the Internet.

I am pleased to report that an Arabic LGR panel is now seated and working
diligently to create the label generation rules for the Arabic script.
However, panels for Chinese, Cyrillic, Georgian, Greek, Hebrew, Japanese,
Korean, Latin, Neo-Brahmi scripts or any other interested script communities
still need to be formed.

Each panel should be comprised of volunteers with a diverse range of
interests, expertise in a variety of disciplines, ranging from technical to
linguistic script expertise, and share a commitment to driving the
proliferation of a multi-lingual Internet.

I encourage you to help reach out to your network and help me spread the
word regarding the need for LGR panel members, including chairs, for each
script.  If you know someone who is interested, please have them contact an
IDN team member via email at idntlds at icann.org <mailto:idntlds at icann.org> ,
seek out a member of our staff at ICANN 50 in London, or contact me
directly.  More information is also posted at
https://community.icann.org/display/croscomlgrprocedure/Root+Zone+LGR+Projec
<https://community.icann.org/display/croscomlgrprocedure/Root+Zone+LGR+Proje
ct> .

Thank you in advance for your support.