[council] Response to Strategic Panel Blueprint

john at crediblecontext.com john at crediblecontext.com
Thu Feb 13 17:57:32 UTC 2014

Klaus,

Thanks for sending this along.  This particular strategy panel has generated quite a lot of discussion on the mailing list of the Commercial and Business Users Constituency, too.

Too often, the actions of ICANN are viewed not through the lens of what is being done, but what motivation lurks in the background.  To a large extent, ICANN has earned this skepticism, but it may be that, as the NPOC says, there is more of value in this effort than we recently have seen.  On that point, I found one paragraph of primary interest with regard to the possibility and the pitfall:

"This also underscores the sense of urgency around ICANN successfully confronting the challenges of a viable multi-stakeholder model in a world where virtually every person is becoming an Internet stakeholder. Done with some degree of success, ICANN can serve as a model for others in the Internet ecosystem. Done poorly, ICANN is doomed."

In our small way, the GNSO Council needs to do what it can -- participate, cajole, showcase -- the work of this and all the strategy panels to help tip the balance as the community intends.

Cheers,

Berard

--------- Original Message --------- Subject: [council] Response to Strategic Panel Blueprint