[council] IGO INGO Final Issue Report & Motion for Council

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu Jun 5 10:55:09 UTC 2014

Hi,

Does the Charter exist as a separate document, or is it only to be found
as an annex to the final issues report?

Also has there been any in depth discussion in the council of the
charter yet.  I don't recall it.

As you recall NCSG has varied concerns, often expressed, about the scope
of addition of special protections beyond those that have been already
been granted.  This concern translates into concern over the mandate in
the charter to deal with anything that had been discussed during the
IGO/INGO WG.  A lot was discussed. I am also not clear on the scope of
identifiers that can be considered.  Obviously it goes beyond those
already defined as excluded for second level, but I do not understand
the permissible scope for this PDP, and I have spent a far bit of time
bouncing around between the Final Report and the Final Issues report
trying to figure that out.  For example I wasn't able to answer the
simple question: Are acronyms in scope for considerations?  I am sure I
am missed it, but I missed it.

So as we approach the vote I have to admit that I do not understand the
scope, and this came full face the other day when I tried to explain it
to an NCSG open policy meeting.  I thus also do not have a good view of
the NSCG viewpoints on this except to understand that they run the
entire gambit.  I  need to understand the scope better and may not be
ready to vote at this point.

I should note that while I am personally inclined to support opening the
UDRP and URS beyond business marks to support intergovernmental and
civil society needs, some of the NCSG is much less inclined to do so.
This makes it critical to understand the full scope.

Apologies if it is crystal clear to everyone else and I am just missing
it.  Thomas, I expect it is all crystal clear to you, so I would
appreciate some help in understanding the scope.

Thanks

avri