[council] Theresa Swineheart meeting with the GNSO

Jonathan Robinson jrobinson at afilias.info
Sat Jun 21 16:55:27 UTC 2014

From: Jonathan Robinson [mailto:jonathan.robinson at ipracon.com]
Sent: 21 June 2014 16:54
To: Theresa Swinehart (theresa.swinehart at icann.org)
Cc: Diana Middleton (diana.middleton at icann.org); fadi.chehade at icann.org;
Cassia Oliveira (cassia.oliveira at icann.org)
Subject: Meeting with the GNSO

Hello Theresa,

The Council has today discussed our planned meetings with you, Fadi, the GDD
and the ICANN Board tomorrow.

We will be meeting with you first, immediately ahead of our meeting with
Fadi.

What we would like to cover with you is a discussion on NTIA Stewardship
Transition, ICANN Accountability and the Strategy Panels.

We are happy to have any of your remarks, updates or points on the current
status of these key areas you have taken responsibility for.

Some specific questions / points were raised in relation to these and the
points are laid out in bullet format below.

.         NTIA Stewardship

o   Why was the GNSO Comment on a Cross Community acknowledged or responded
to?

o   Apparently a deliberate oversight?

o   Also what about scope? No response to the comments on scope?
Note: Most scope comments indicated accountability as essential and linked

o   Key changes have been made to the work BUT if scope is limited, they are
of limited value.

.         Accountability

o   Interdependency with transition is key

o   Community wide belief in robust accountability needed ahead of NTIA
transition

o   If not interdependent / why not?

.         Strategy Panels

o   Top-down / imposed panels.

o   Staff free to dip in and out of these as they please and are doing so
Noting that some material (being re-used) is not accurate.

o   No normal public comment

o   The significant investment in this

Thank-you for agreeing to meet with us and for considering this detail.

Best wishes,

Jonathan