[council] Fadi Chehade meeting with the GNSO

Jonathan Robinson jrobinson at afilias.info
Sat Jun 21 16:56:04 UTC 2014

From: Jonathan Robinson [mailto:jonathan.robinson at ipracon.com]
Sent: 21 June 2014 17:06
To: fadi.chehade at icann.org
Cc: Cassia Oliveira (cassia.oliveira at icann.org); Theresa Swinehart
(theresa.swinehart at icann.org)
Subject: Meeting with the GNSO

Hello Fadi,

Facilitated by the Council, the GNSO has today discussed our planned
meetings with Theresa, you, the GDD and the ICANN Board tomorrow.

We will be meeting with you immediately ahead of our meeting with Theresa
and you have been copied into the note describing the desired scope of the
discussion and issues arising.

What we would like to cover with you is anything you may wish to pick up on
what we have discussed with Theresa on but specifically, three issues:

1.       ICANN  "Community Issues"

a.       Undue pressure being placed on the community e.g. timeframes being
set too fast for public comment

b.      This is connected with a pervasive sense of Workload / Burnout
combined with a concern for lack of volunteer recognition / support / reward

c.       The above points lead to a concern about the effective current
functioning of "the model" and the associated consequences of such failings

2.       ICANN Organisational Performance / Operational Excellence
(Gap between community expectations and actual experience)

a.       From - Registries & NTAG

b.      From - Registrars (inc ICANN Website, RADAR DB)

c.       N.B. This is perceived to be not only a GNSO issue but one that
impacts everything that ICANN does
Operational excellence and perceived excellence will affect our ability to
provide the critical "defence" of the organisation

3.       A letter has been sent to a 3rd party dispute resolution provider
(ICDR).

a.       What's the rationale?

b.      Concern is that it is a form of political expediency overriding
accountability?

Thank-you for agreeing to meet with us and for considering this detailed
input.

Best wishes,

Jonathan