[council] Content for the GNSO website

Jonathan Robinson jrobinson at afilias.info
Fri Mar 14 16:30:38 UTC 2014

All,

I have periodically posted content to the from page of the GNSO website
indicating current focus, trends etc.

I had intended to post the latest message today built, on reflection, have
posted it to this list (see below) for any feedback.

Please give me any feedback you may have asap so that I can have it posted
to the website on Monday.

Thanks,

Jonathan

--

As we come to the end of the first quarter of 2014, many of us are heading
to the 49th ICANN meeting, taking place in Singapore.  The GNSO Council will

We believe that the policy management function can benefit from continuous
improvement and so are active in seeking to improve the ways in which we
work.  Our recognition of the need for evolution and continuous improvement
of how we work is paying dividends and is assisted by the capable work of
the Standing Committee on Improvements, a group we relatively recently
agreed should be retained as a Standing Committee.  In addition to
initiatives from within the GNSO to evolve and improve, there are other key
drivers we are keenly aware of, such as the critical appraisal of key
elements of our work which arose from the work of the recent Accountability
& Transparency Review Team.  We can now look forward as to how we absorb and
act on those recommendations.

All of our work takes place in the larger ICANN and global context, a point
that has become impossible to miss, given the significant focus of many
within the ICANN community on the overarching issue of governance of the
Internet and how that might evolve.  Indeed, the GNSO Council has felt the
need to introduce an item to its agenda for the past couple of Council
meetings, whereby we have the opportunity to discuss the developing issues
around internet governance. Within the GNSO, the evolving bottom-up,
multi-stakeholder model that ICANN is rightfully proud of is alive and well
and we are committed to the essential principles that underpin that model.

Notwithstanding that, the GNSO is the place at ICANN where policy relating
to generic domain names is developed and the GNSO Council is committed to
ensuring we retain a focus on doing that, and doing it well, for the
remainder of 2014 and beyond.

Jonathan Robinson - Chair, GNSO Council