[council] A way forward on the Specification 13 question

john at crediblecontext.com john at crediblecontext.com
Thu May 8 14:08:09 UTC 2014

Volker,

Your points are well-made, but the circumstances that led Recommendation 19 to be modified/clarified/excepted by Specification 13 suggest broader implications for all future PDP work.  Our back-and-forth on the list shows that when the policies are specifically prescriptive, it is easy to go astray once the real-world elements of the marketplace then test them.  But if we focus on outcomes, there is more latitude to act in the face of circumstance -- as long as the result is in line with our intent.

In the current case, for example, it was understood though not prescriptively stated that brand tlds were likely to be different players than most gtlds.  If the policy work acknowledged that and made it clear that those differences were to be accommodated within the framework of a set of rules governing registrar relationships, then whether the names were open to all comers or to a short list of, say, three, would not matter.  Only the nature of the relationship between the registry and registrars would.

This is where I am on the question of 19/13.  Though I remain open to whatever amendments may be offered today, even without change the motion is a rational response that should be supported.

Cheers,

Berard

--------- Original Message --------- Subject: Re: [council] A way forward on the Specification 13 question