[council] Re: Letter from the NGPC Chair

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri May 16 12:44:28 UTC 2014

On 16-May-14 07:55, Volker Greimann wrote:

> Agreed. We should make it a point to clearly deliniate the votes in
> each communication to the board in the future, i.e. not only include
> the complete voting record, but also who voted how.

I agree, though I think it is enough to say by majority or by super
majority in the letter and attach the full voting record.

> In some cases, we may also want to allow the dissenting groups to
> include a dissenting opinion with the submission of the motion.

I think we do.

Every vote, positive or negative can be accompanied by a voting
statement which remains part of the vote and is communicated with the
vote whenever the vote is communicated: Abstentions require a voting
statement, while other votes are allowed a statement.*

That is why I said it was my fault for not having made one.  Anytime the
point is important enough to a council member to record, it can be done.

And that is why the voting record needs to be attached to all such letters.

Glen, thanks for attaching the voting record to the archived letter.

avri

* (For process geeks: the rule was changed a few years back, as people
who wanted to make a statement were abstaining in order to do so.
Seemed better to allow a statement with any vote.)