[council] Voting to go counter to previous policy was Re: [] Re: Letter ....

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri May 16 13:47:26 UTC 2014

Hi,

Change subject.

This discussion has gotten me thinking about the future and the whole
notion of voting to accept a deviation from PDP policy recommendations.
 I know we said it wasn't a precedent, but having done it once, there is
no reason to expect that it can't happen again, unless we make a rule
against it, which I do not expect us to do.

In retrospect it seems odd to me that a PDP policy that was approved by
a super-majority, could be exempted by a majority.   Is this a voting
practice we wish to endorse for the future?

Perhaps this is an issue that should be discussed futher and might even
be an issue for the SCI to chew on for a spell.  As this practice of the
Board checking back with us becomes regularized, something I hope
continues, we need to refine our processes to work with this.  We are
already working on ideas for accelerating non-PDP working group process
in several groups. We might also need to look at the voting thresholds
for such motions.

avri