[council] Voting to go counter to previous policy was Re: [] Re: Letter ....

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Fri May 16 17:16:37 UTC 2014

That is why I originally raised the question of what voting threshold
would we use.

Marika was correct in that the current rules do not mention this kind
of vote. Not surprising because we have never really had this kind of
vote before and we did not contemplate such a possibility when
drafting the rules on thresholds (for those not present, translating
the old Council thresholds to those for a bicameral Council involved
a LOT of thought and some vigorous debate, but this particular
question was just not considered).

I do not believe that it is really important in the current case. The
original New gTLD Policy was not a Consensus Policy (ie altering
existing contracts) and so did not require a super-majority to have
the force of law.

However, if we were to do another such "change" to policy, and that
policy was a Consensus Policy, I strongly believe that a
super-majority should be required to alter it, and the rules (and in
fact the Bylaws) should be changed to reflect this.

Alan