[council] Preliminary Issue Report on Review of RPMs in All gTLDs published for public comment

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Fri Oct 9 20:46:11 UTC 2015

Dear Councilors,

The Preliminary Issue Report on a possible PDP to review all the rights
protection mechanisms (RPMs) in all gTLDs, including the Uniform Dispute
Resolution Policy (UDRP), has just been published for public comment:
https://www.icann.org/public-comments/rpm-prelim-issue-2015-10-09-en. This
is in accordance with the GNSO Council request of December 2011 (see
http://gnso.icann.org/en/council/resolutions#201112), the 18-month timeline
for which was extended by the Council at staff¹s request in January 2015.

We are publishing this report for public comment now so that the community
will have a chance to discuss the topic during the upcoming ICANN54 meeting
in Dublin. Since the public comment period will run through the ICANN
meeting, we are running a fifty (50) day public comment period instead of
the usual forty (40) days. The public comment period will therefore close on
30 November. A community session has also been planned for the Dublin
meeting ­ it is currently scheduled for Wednesday, from 16.15-17.45 Dublin
time, and remote participation facilities will of course be available for
community members who are not able to attend in person.

For your and your respective SG/C¹s convenience, a copy of the Preliminary
Issue Report can be accessed here:
http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/new-gtlds/rpm-prelim-issue-09oct15-en.pdf.

Thanks and cheers
Mary