[council] Proposed Edit to Council Letter to CCWG-ACCT

James M. Bladel jbladel at godaddy.com
Thu Jan 21 18:00:45 UTC 2016

Hi all -

Great thread on this, and Rec #11 is definitely an area of focus for our response, so we want to be clear.

If memory serves, our position on this Recommendation was more nuanced than "support" or "opposed."  Most SG/C comments noted the 2/3rds vote of the Board requirement to reject GAC advice as a deal-breaker.  Some SGs and Cs (BC and RySG, I believe) said they did support other components of Rec #11, specifically the definition of GAC Consensus as Lacking Formal Objection.

Stichting these together, our response would appear to be broad opposition to the 2/3rds vote threshold, and support/non-opposition to keep the current definition of GAC Consensus. In effect, the GNSO wants to preserve the status quo on both points.

Have I got that straight?  If so, we need to wordsmith this in to our Rec #11 response so it is clear to the CCWG Co-Chairs.

Thanks-

J.