[council] Regarding meeting to discuss contractual and compliance requirements that relate to registrants carrying out activities contrary to applicable law

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Sun Jun 26 07:24:28 UTC 2016

Hello All,

I want to make the GNSO council aware of the email below, by which I have invited the Chairs of key constituencies within ICANN to attend a session at ICANN 56 to encourage and enable a dialogue with interested stakeholders in the ICANN community regarding the scope of ICANN’s responsibilities and remit with respect to matters such as abuse, illegal activity, distribution of malware, abusively operating botnets, phishing, piracy, trademark or copyright infringement, fraudulent or deceptive practices, counterfeiting and similar matters; and to facilitate a clearer understanding among the community of the key provisions in ICANN’s contracts that refer to such matters and the scope of ICANN’s enforcement of those provisions.

We recognize that we are scheduling this session on short notice, but want to take the opportunity to meet while members of the community are here in Helsinki.  One of the desired outcomes of the meeting is to discuss a structure and framework for future discussions of these issues, including at ICANN 57.   We will record the session and make a transcript available.     It is not an decisional meeting - it is an opportunity to share information and perspectives to help frame the issue.

As noted in the email below, due to space limitations, we have asked each of the Chairs to invite no more than two representatives to this initial session from their respective organizations.  We plan to conduct a longer session at ICANN 57 with greater capacity for participation.

Please feel free to coordinate with the Chairs regarding the appropriate representatives to attend this session.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin

ICANN Board Director