[council] Draft IETF "Problem Statement" on Special Use TLDs

avri doria avri at acm.org
Wed Feb 15 11:41:03 UTC 2017

Hi,

Another document that may be of interest in this same line is:

        Title           : The ALT Special Use Top Level Domain
        Authors         : Warren Kumari
                          Andrew Sullivan
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-alt-tld-07.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2017-02-01

Abstract:
   This document reserves a string (ALT) to be used as a TLD label in
   non-DNS contexts, or for names that have no meaning in a global
   context.  It also provides advice and guidance to developers
   developing alternate namespaces.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-alt-tld/

Note that while these are stated as non DNS usage, there is a question
of what response DNS gives for these names and the degree to which this
bumps up against ICANN's roles and responsibilities as defined in the
MOU between the organization.

It should also be noted the Draft Problem Statement on "Special Use
Domain Names" is currently in IETF DNSOP WG Last Call (WGLC).

avri