[council] WHOIS Conflicts with Local Law - Alternate Triggers

Drazek, Keith kdrazek at verisign.com
Tue Nov 28 13:32:08 UTC 2017

Hi Heather, all,

Thanks for your feedback on this issue and apologies for my delay responding. I’ve been out of the office and am just now digging out.

Here’s my initial reaction to the proposed amendments. I will also raise this with the RySG during our bi-weekly call tomorrow (Wednesday), so I may receive further guidance.

1.      While I was not a member of the IAG, my understanding is that consensus was not reached -- in either direction -- on the implementation of a Legal Opinion Trigger. The group was divided and the public comments on the issue were similarly divided. If the IPC believes adding a Legal Opinion Trigger now runs counter to the prior work of the IAG, then it’s probably time to convene another IAG to review the issue. The current implementation is simply not working or workable. Further, the comment period back in May was a reasonable first step towards forming another IAG:  https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2017-05-03-en and the GNSO council resolution on 16 Feb 2017 approving the previous IAG’s work called for a new review to be commenced no later than 1 Oct 2017:  https://gnso.icann.org/en/council/resolutions In light of all the recent developments around GDPR and experience with current implementation, this really needs to be reviewed and revisited ASAP.

2.      Relying only on Alternate Trigger #2 assumes that there is another workable trigger setting the precedent, which is not the case, so I don’t see a stand-alone #2 as effective or sufficient.

3.      Initiating a formal public comment period on what is essentially a contractual compliance issue is likely a non-starter for contracted parties.

4.      It's worth noting that ICANN’s statement on GDPR “noncompliance” from Abu Dhabi is very similar to the legal opinion trigger we’re now discussing. ICANN will defer compliance action, but to be eligible a registry or registrar must first submit to ICANN what you are going to do, including an analysis explaining how the proposal reconciles contractual obligations with GDPR.  ICANN will then submit that to Hamilton for legal analysis.

So, to summarize, I unfortunately can’t accept the proposed amendments from the IPC as friendly. That said, I also don’t want to force a vote without the opportunity for the Council to discuss further. Does it make sense to have this as a discussion item but not tabled for a vote this week?

I’ll let you know tomorrow if I receive any additional input from the RySG.

Thanks and regards,

Keith