[council] [EXTERNAL] Re: Draft GNSO Council comments on Operating Standards for Specific Reviews

Austin, Donna Donna.Austin at team.neustar
Mon Jan 22 19:00:33 UTC 2018

Hi Rafik and Ayden

The intent of including the Ombudsman and Complaints Officer is to recognize that they are options available to anyone, regardless of what the substance of the complaint or concern relates to. RT members who have concerns should not be restricted to a specific path and while I accept that the mandate of the Ombudsman and Complaints Officer may have not be consequential I would hope that they could provide a ‘safe option’ for anyone to discuss concerns and understand possible options for resolution.

Rafik, to your point: I am trying to understand the intent of that paragraph, are we talking about possible escalation flow but not proposing a specific one? I mean we listed possible persons to whom concerns from RT members can be reported.

As I mentioned in the covering email, I found it difficult to provide a concrete path for treatment of complaints, particularly as it relates to complaints about the Chair/s.  The document prepared by staff for comment suggested a removal process that call for a straight vote of all members without any due consideration of the facts and we felt this was unfair. You’ll see that I’ve highlighted in yellow an open question about what happens next and I’m hoping that we can come up with some ideas that might be helpful to the discussion.

Donna