[council] FW: Motion and charter - Adoption of the charter for the ICANN Procedure For Handling WHOIS Conflicts with Privacy Law Implementation Advisory Group (WHOIS Procedure IAG)

Darcy Southwell darcy.southwell at endurance.com
Wed Jan 24 23:35:52 UTC 2018

Thanks, Heather.

I have some concerns that the language from Decision-Making Methodologies (i.e., “The Chair may make a call for Consensus. If making such a call, the Chair should always make reasonable efforts to involve all Stakeholder Group appointed Members of the IAG.”) may conflict somewhat with the language in Membership Criteria (i.e., “However, should there be a need for a consensus call or decision, such consensus call or decision will be limited to members appointed by the GNSO SGs, who may consult as appropriate with their respective SGs.”).

Is the “reasonable efforts” language for the Chair to achieve consensus typical give the membership criteria language?  Or has it worked in practice in prior IAGs?

Thanks,

Darcy