[council] Fwd: Action Items: GNSO Council meeting 26 April 2018

Marika Konings marika.konings at icann.org
Sun May 6 13:47:09 UTC 2018

For your information, you can find the Board resolution that was adopted during the Board meeting earlier this week here: https://www.icann.org/resources/board-material/resolutions-2018-05-03-en.

Best regards,


From: council <council-bounces at gnso.icann.org> on behalf of Ayden Férdeline <icann at ferdeline.com>
Reply-To: Ayden Férdeline <icann at ferdeline.com>
Date: Friday, May 4, 2018 at 06:18
To: "philippe.fouquart at orange.com" <philippe.fouquart at orange.com>
Cc: "gnso-next-gen-rds-lead at icann.org" <gnso-next-gen-rds-lead at icann.org>, Chuck Gomes <consult at cgomes.com>, GNSO Council List <council at gnso.icann.org>
Subject: Re: [council] Fwd: Action Items: GNSO Council meeting 26 April 2018

Do we have an update, or might one be coming, from the special Board meeting yesterday? Given the agenda was the GAC communique and feedback on the interim GDPR compliance model, have there been any resolutions or discussions that we need to be aware of?

Best wishes, Ayden

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On 3 May 2018 11:03 PM, <philippe.fouquart at orange.com> wrote:

Heather, colleagues,

I have no problem at all with the idea of a small team but noting Donna's reading of Cherinne's email, we should make sure that we don't run separate tracks so maybe we need to understand what the board is likely to come up with first (or at the same time).

-------- Message d'origine --------
De : Heather Forrest <haforrestesq at gmail.com>
Date : 03/05/2018 03:03 (GMT+01:00)
À : GNSO Council List <council at gnso.icann.org>, RDS-Leaders-List <gnso-next-gen-rds-lead at icann.org>, Chuck <consult at cgomes.com>
Objet : [council] Fwd:  Action Items: GNSO Council meeting 26 April 2018

Dear Council colleagues,

Following up on an Action Item from our April Council meeting (last week) I note the update below from Board Chairman Cherine Chalaby re Board thinking on the GDPR/RDS intersection.

I know that not all agreed in our April meeting with the idea of a small team, but we need to decide fairly swiftly on an effective way forward in terms of preparations. Marika has circulated helpful information about Expedited PDPs on the Council list; Donna, Rafik and I have been discussing possible next steps and have contemplated a webinar to further elucidate that documented EPDP information, but taking that idea any further needs input from Councillors. The update below from Cherine is helpful but of course there remains uncertainty in the space. We have numerous things happening in May - the Board's workshop, GDD summit, and our own Council meeting at the end of the month - not to mention May 25th.

All thoughts on how to efficiently and effectively move forward are encouraged!

Best wishes,


---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Cherine Chalaby <cherine.chalaby at board.icann.org<mailto:cherine.chalaby at board.icann.org>>
Date: Wed, May 2, 2018 at 3:28 AM
Subject: Re: [council] Action Items: GNSO Council meeting 26 April 2018
To: Heather Forrest <haforrestesq at gmail.com<mailto:haforrestesq at gmail.com>>

Hi Heather,

Thank you for your note below.   The Board has indeed progressed its thinking but has not made a definitive determination at this point.   A temporary specification for the implementation of an interim model now appears to be the best route forward and the Board is prepared to act on it at its next workshop in Vancouver which we will be held on 11-13 May.  Having said that, ICANN org continues to engage with the Article 29 Working Party and with the European Commission and we have to remain flexible in the event something surprising emerges from these discussions.

Hope this is helpful.
Best regards,

On 1 May 2018, at 06:13, Heather Forrest <haforrestesq at gmail.com<mailto:haforrestesq at gmail.com>> wrote:
Hello Cherine,

I hope this message finds you well.

You'll see from the Action Items below from last Thursday's GNSO Council meeting that we are making some progress in preparations for Board action on GDPR/RDS PDP, following our discussions with you, Chris, Goran, etc. (FYI audio here https://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-council-26apr18-en.mp3 [audio.icann.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__audio.icann.org_gnso_gnso-2Dcouncil-2D26apr18-2Den.mp3&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=7_PQAir-9nJQ2uB2cWiTDDDo5Hfy5HL9rSTe65iXLVM&m=XzpDOZPfPeKzNq1l3sopyXn0oH_ZoNsR1nc8VQLnZBc&s=KJXwA2qJXfJhUj01yMqIOdFgMvoVKrCxKMcjKYT4TGM&e=> and transcript here https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/file/field-file-attach/transcript-council-26apr18-en.pdf [gnso.icann.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__gnso.icann.org_sites_default_files_file_field-2Dfile-2Dattach_transcript-2Dcouncil-2D26apr18-2Den.pdf&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=7_PQAir-9nJQ2uB2cWiTDDDo5Hfy5HL9rSTe65iXLVM&m=XzpDOZPfPeKzNq1l3sopyXn0oH_ZoNsR1nc8VQLnZBc&s=hEV7nVc5gPcXIxqZeFamfu8mtisNo1Q1rB2r7J8RFT4&e=>)

Council has asked me to follow up with you to see if the Board's thinking has progressed since our conversation as to whether a temporary policy specification is likely, or any other thoughts that may be under discussion, as this will help us considerably in terms of the pace and scope of our "preparations". Any insight you might be able to share with me would be most appreciated.

Many thanks and best wishes,


---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Steve Chan <steve.chan at icann.org<mailto:steve.chan at icann.org>>
Date: Tue, May 1, 2018 at 1:53 PM
Subject: [council] Action Items: GNSO Council meeting 26 April 2018
To: "Austin, Donna via council" <council at gnso.icann.org<mailto:council at gnso.icann.org>>

Dear Councilors,

Please find the action items, as stated during the meeting, below arising from the GNSO Council meeting held on Thursday, 26 April 2018.

Please ensure your wiki logins are up to date as all Action Items have been assigned to councilors and/or staff and posted on the Action Item wiki page here[community.icann.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_RgZlAg&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=PDd_FX3f4MVgkEIi9GHvVoUhbecsvLhgsyXrxgtbL10DTBs0i1jYiBM_uTSDzgqG&m=3-hGIGNPG_MVccHXahT9lk8qFDbuDuo_wwbRzKZZQGg&s=do3fZzjIln0Jwcx8qKogeUnOo6PFhu4TNs9Q0S7YzIs&e=>. If you are logged into the wiki when you go to that page, your name will be highlighted alongside the action item assigned to you. Please refer to this page for the recent status updates on the Action items.


Item 2. Review of Projects and Action Items List


  *   Small team of Councilors to ensure that they coordinate with the ccNSO in addressing the Board request regarding emoji.

Customer Standing Committee Charter (CSC)

  *   ICANN Staff to call for volunteers to form small drafting team (Volunteer(s): Rafik Dammak) to develop Council input on the proposed changes to the Customer Standing Committee Charter (CSC) (see https://www.icann.org/public-comments/csc-charter-rt-initial-2018-04-11-en [icann.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.icann.org_public-2Dcomments_csc-2Dcharter-2Drt-2Dinitial-2D2018-2D04-2D11-2Den&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=7_PQAir-9nJQ2uB2cWiTDDDo5Hfy5HL9rSTe65iXLVM&m=XzpDOZPfPeKzNq1l3sopyXn0oH_ZoNsR1nc8VQLnZBc&s=rcKZMb8UqhQjV5bnWvwPsWmrsGSudLP0qvwZspjuPrY&e=>);
  *   And Small drafting team to submit proposed Council input to the Council for consideration in time for the next GNSO Council meeting on 24 May. Deadline for submission of comments is 1 June.

Item 3. Consent Agenda

Voting Results:

  *   Motions passed unanimously by voice vote.

Action Items:

  *   Council Leadership to formally communicate the GNSO Review of the San Juan GAC Communiqué to the ICANN Board with copy to the GAC.
  *   ICANN Staff to communicate agreement with ICANN Org to continue to treat the Community gTLD Change Request process as a matter of implementation.

Item 4: COUNCIL VOTE – In Memory of Stéphane Van Gelder

Voting Results:

  *   Motion passed unanimously by voice vote.

Action Items:

  *   ICANN Staff to update motion to reflect whole GNSO Council as seconder. [COMPLETE]
  *   ICANN Staff to communicate outcome of motion to Stéphane’s family. [COMPLETE]

Item 5: UPDATE – CCWG-Accountability-WS2 status of work and expected timeline for delivery of Final Report

Action items:
·         Council to familiarize themselves with recommendations in preparation for consideration of Final Report.
·         Council members to encourage their respective groups to provide input to the currently open public comment forum (close date of 11 May 2018) to identify potential inconsistencies in the recommendations (see https://www.icann.org/public-comments/ccwg-acct-ws2-final-2018-03-30-en [icann.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.icann.org_public-2Dcomments_ccwg-2Dacct-2Dws2-2Dfinal-2D2018-2D03-2D30-2Den&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=7_PQAir-9nJQ2uB2cWiTDDDo5Hfy5HL9rSTe65iXLVM&m=XzpDOZPfPeKzNq1l3sopyXn0oH_ZoNsR1nc8VQLnZBc&s=PicFsD_i7W5Ze490csWW5CC_g5MTCRq9Ln4ipRLr4Uk&e=>).

Item 6: IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms

·         No objection from Council to proceed as suggested by Council liaison Susan Kawaguchi during the update.

Action items:
·         Susan Kawaguchi to collaborate with the PDP WG and staff to develop a draft final report for preliminary consideration by the GNSO Council (targeting May meeting).

Item 7: UPDATE – ICANN Board Temporary Policy Proposal

Action Items:

  *   Council to develop next steps in preparation for possible adoption of temporary policy by the ICANN Board which would kick off a one year PDP.
  *   Heather Forrest to follow up with Cherine Chalaby to see if there is any new information from the Board.

Item 8: COUNCIL DISCUSSION – Discussion of Updates to the Consensus Policy Implementation Framework (CPIF)

Action Items:

  *   Councilors to review proposed amendments to the Consensus Policy Implementation Framework (CPIF) and if desired, disseminate to their respective Stakeholder Groups/Constituencies. The goal is to ensure feedback is returned to ICANN org in a timely manner and allow for them to provide a proposed final version by the end of July.
  *   Councilors to review Post Implementation Consensus Policy Review Framework (PICPRF) process diagram and complete survey by 18 May (see https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/postimplreview [surveymonkey.com]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.surveymonkey.com_r_postimplreview&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=7_PQAir-9nJQ2uB2cWiTDDDo5Hfy5HL9rSTe65iXLVM&m=XzpDOZPfPeKzNq1l3sopyXn0oH_ZoNsR1nc8VQLnZBc&s=6-TcGT0kRqE5uAWNGcZ1sqBl0bZfqTh9BkI0jlIRwcE&e=>).

Item 9: COUNCIL DISCUSSION – Review of the Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy (IRTP)

Action Items:

  *   ICANN Staff to follow up with Councilors who raised questions / issues during the call (Darcy Southwell, Michele Neylon, and Pam Little) to confirm whether these were addressed or whether there are remaining concerns and/or input that they want to provide on the suggested scope of the IRTP review
  *   If no remaining concerns and/or input is provided, ICANN Staff to proceed with preparation of the Post-Implementation Policy Status Report for delivery to the GNSO Council, if possible by end of June 2018.

Item 11: UPDATE – Joint Timeline of the All Rights Protection Mechanisms in All gTLDs and New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WGs

Action Items:

  *   Council liaisons to WGs to scope the issue and understand requirements/dependencies between the two PDP WGs.

12.1 – Any Other Business

12.1 Update on scheduling for ICANN62

Action Items:

  *   Following confirmation of Cross Community/High Interest Topics and placement in schedule, Council leadership to review and finalise GNSO Schedule together with staff.


Steven Chan

Policy Director, GNSO Support

12025 Waterfront Drive, Suite 300 [maps.google.com]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__maps.google.com_-3Fq-3D12025-2BWaterfront-2BDrive-2C-2BSuite-2B300-2BLos-2BAngeles-2C-2BCA-2B90094-26entry-3Dgmail-26source-3Dg&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=7_PQAir-9nJQ2uB2cWiTDDDo5Hfy5HL9rSTe65iXLVM&m=XzpDOZPfPeKzNq1l3sopyXn0oH_ZoNsR1nc8VQLnZBc&s=u-R308JpU7J_3R6ZPMjNrZdn9cUNzng2brmL5qKzX8E&e=>
Los Angeles, CA 90094 [maps.google.com]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__maps.google.com_-3Fq-3D12025-2BWaterfront-2BDrive-2C-2BSuite-2B300-2BLos-2BAngeles-2C-2BCA-2B90094-26entry-3Dgmail-26source-3Dg&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=7_PQAir-9nJQ2uB2cWiTDDDo5Hfy5HL9rSTe65iXLVM&m=XzpDOZPfPeKzNq1l3sopyXn0oH_ZoNsR1nc8VQLnZBc&s=u-R308JpU7J_3R6ZPMjNrZdn9cUNzng2brmL5qKzX8E&e=>-2536

steve.chan at icann.org<mailto:steve.chan at icann.org>
mobile: +1.310.339.4410
office tel: +1.310.301.5800
office fax: +1.310.823.8649

Find out more about the GNSO by taking our interactive courses and visiting the GNSO Newcomer pages [gnso.icann.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__gnso.icann.org_sites_gnso.icann.org_files_gnso_presentations_policy-2Defforts.htm-23newcomers&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=7_PQAir-9nJQ2uB2cWiTDDDo5Hfy5HL9rSTe65iXLVM&m=XzpDOZPfPeKzNq1l3sopyXn0oH_ZoNsR1nc8VQLnZBc&s=ylzurAoADEtVCCnVHEvES1Jm3jEyvd0tcgb1RdzJiE4&e=>.

Follow @GNSO on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ICANN_GNSO [twitter.com]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__twitter.com_ICANN-5FGNSO&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=7_PQAir-9nJQ2uB2cWiTDDDo5Hfy5HL9rSTe65iXLVM&m=XzpDOZPfPeKzNq1l3sopyXn0oH_ZoNsR1nc8VQLnZBc&s=p8C4cRF3CvW8XEqapsobwyEcX6A5mMDCTYmOTmzUaRE&e=>
Follow the GNSO on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/icanngnso/ [facebook.com]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_icanngnso_&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=7_PQAir-9nJQ2uB2cWiTDDDo5Hfy5HL9rSTe65iXLVM&m=XzpDOZPfPeKzNq1l3sopyXn0oH_ZoNsR1nc8VQLnZBc&s=poocMmox9LaKk91vzZ9bAoVOOc2xe7HbFIo8FDWXTyk&e=>
http://gnso.icann.org/en/ [gnso.icann.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=7_PQAir-9nJQ2uB2cWiTDDDo5Hfy5HL9rSTe65iXLVM&m=XzpDOZPfPeKzNq1l3sopyXn0oH_ZoNsR1nc8VQLnZBc&s=EIHGm5Na5y_m3_GtqYpxpRQJpbx1Gd0HTbWCSY-7LyU&e=>

council mailing list
council at gnso.icann.org<mailto:council at gnso.icann.org>



Ce message et ses pieces jointes peuvent contenir des informations confidentielles ou privilegiees et ne doivent donc

pas etre diffuses, exploites ou copies sans autorisation. Si vous avez recu ce message par erreur, veuillez le signaler

a l'expediteur et le detruire ainsi que les pieces jointes. Les messages electroniques etant susceptibles d'alteration,

Orange decline toute responsabilite si ce message a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie. Merci.

This message and its attachments may contain confidential or privileged information that may be protected by law;

they should not be distributed, used or copied without authorisation.

If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this message and its attachments.

As emails may be altered, Orange is not liable for messages that have been modified, changed or falsified.

Thank you.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/council/attachments/20180506/1351d529/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the council mailing list