[council] Fwd: [So-ac-sg-cleaders] Chair’s Blog: A Wrap-Up of the Vancouver Board Workshop - ICANN

Heather Forrest haforrestesq at gmail.com
Tue May 15 12:25:04 UTC 2018

Dear Council colleagues,

Posting for the Council list record the blog reporting on the Board's
workshop in Vancouver.

Best wishes,


---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Olive <david.olive at icann.org>
Date: Tue, May 15, 2018 at 10:07 AM
Subject: [So-ac-sg-cleaders] Chair’s Blog: A Wrap-Up of the Vancouver Board
Workshop - ICANN
To: "so-ac-sg-cleaders at icann.org" <so-ac-sg-cleaders at icann.org>
Cc: Gwen Carlson <gwen.carlson at icann.org>


Chair’s Blog: A Wrap-Up of the Vancouver Board Workshop

Over the weekend the ICANN Board met on 11-13 May in Vancouver, Canada. We
held three public sessions and a public Board meeting, and I hope you were
able to join some.

In the morning of the first day of the workshop, Friday, we began by
meeting with the Root Server Security Advisory Committee (RSSAC) Co-Chairs
to get a better understanding of their work, what issues they see coming
down the road and their priorities. We then spent most of the day in
sessions discussing our approach to strategic planning, long-term strategic
outlook and trends, as part of the dialogue for the development with the
community of the next iteration of ICANN's new Five-Year Strategic Plan for
the period 2021-2025.

Göran Marby, President & CEO, ICANN, gave the Board a brief update on the
anticipated timing of a proposed Temporary Specification for gTLD
Registration Data. As you may have read in his blog post
on this topic, we, as a Board, supported his recommendation to release the
document to the community and the Board at the same time the evening of May

In order for us to devote the proper attention to reviewing a proposed
Temporary Specification, we reorganized the workshop to accommodate a
thorough review and discussion over the weekend.  t was of the utmost
importance to me, and the entire Board, that we have the time to digest,
discuss and debate this document. We decided, therefore, to hold our
planned public sessions, but the other sessions were rescheduled.  We also
decided to push our start time on Saturday morning to 10:00 am so that we
had time to read the document and identify questions and comments.

On Saturday we came together and started our discussions, with each Board
member asking questions of, and raising points for, consideration to the
ICANN org team. The discussions were broadly grouped into the following

   - How the proposed Temporary Specification facilitates compliance with
   - Guidance on addressing or incorporating interpretation of terms
   arising out of the GDPR
   - Potential for use of common anonymized email addresses across
   - Access rights/accreditation mechanisms
   - Important issues for further community action, such as continued work
   to develop an accreditation model
   - The general need for a Temporary Specification
   - ICANN's compliance enforcement needs
   - The ability to update the Temporary Specification if needed

Our discussion was detailed, challenging issues were raised, and our debate
was robust. We took as much time as we needed to review the proposed
Temporary Specification, and at the end of the day we had framed a plan for
continuing the discussion on Sunday.

We also held two public sessions on Saturday, one led by Akram Atallah, on
the Trademark Clearinghouse regarding an ongoing discussion with the
Registries Stakeholder Group, and another, led by Maarten Botterman, on the
GAC scorecard, in response to the issues raised by the GAC in their San
Juan Communique.

On Sunday morning, we reconvened, set our agenda for the day, and began by
discussing the plan for revisions to the proposed Temporary Specification
document. Full discussions and debate resumed, questioning and deliberating
occurred in a very open and a constructive manner.  We wanted to ensure
that all of our questions had been addressed and that there was a plan for
continued incorporation of changes that reflected the issues we raised. You
will be able to see the resulting changes in the revised Temporary
Specification released by ICANN org here
[PDF, 152 KB].

We then shifted gears to discuss the broader process around the potential
adoption of a proposed Temporary Specification. We reflected and discussed
if we, as a Board, had sufficient time to complete our conversation on a
proposed Temporary Specification since its release on Friday 11 of May. On
this point we decided "no". We had made strides by spending close to 16
hours of the Board workshop on this important topic, but we decided
together to postpone our vote on adoption of a proposed Temporary
Specification. This will allow us the opportunity to further our
discussion, and to share with the community the revised proposed Temporary
Specification reflecting our clarifications.

Then, as planned, Maarten Botterman led a public session on the progress
made against the Board's operational priorities for FY18, highlighting the
work that's been done on goals since I blogged about our priorities here

We then discussed a path forward, if a proposed Temporary Specification is
to be adopted. This included conversation on initiating a formal Board/GAC
consultation and a new Policy Development Process to achieve
recommendations on an ultimate model, as well as the ability to make
interim changes to a Temporary Specification should they be necessary until
the ultimate model is available.

As a group, we then discussed ideas about potential risks that could
accompany either no action or adoption of a proposed Temporary
Specification. We also discussed the best way to keep the community
apprised of the progress and the process leading to the eventual decision
we will take. One of the results of that conversation is the level of
detail provided in this blog. We have also agreed with ICANN org to convene
a community webinar <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2018-05-14-en>
on 15 May, from 09:15 to10:30 Pacific Daylight Time (16:15-17:30 UTC) to
discuss this topic.

At the end of the day, at 17:00 local time, the Board held a full Board
Meeting as we usually do. The Board passed a resolution noting our intent
to take a decision on the adoption of a Temporary Specification on or about
17 May 2018. As indicated in the resolution, the Board intends to use this
additional time to confirm that appropriate modifications are incorporated
into the Temporary Specification prior to adoption. For more details on the
workshop, including minutes from the public Board Meeting, please see the Board
Page <https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/2018-board-meetings>.

I appreciate the level of time, detail, discussion and consideration that
the Board has given to this topic – it was a very instructive workshop.
This was only possible because of the hard work of the ICANN community and
ICANN org in getting us to this place, and for that, I thank you.

Sent from my iPhone

David A. Olive
Senior Vice President
Policy Development Support
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)

So-ac-sg-cleaders mailing list
So-ac-sg-cleaders at icann.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/council/attachments/20180515/ad4b9751/attachment.html>

More information about the council mailing list