[council] Strategic Planning Session 2019

Heather Forrest haforrestesq at gmail.com
Thu May 31 06:30:24 UTC 2018

Dear Council colleagues,

I write with some welcome good news, for the GNSO generally and next year's
GNSO Council in particular.

I have just received notice that our Additional Budget Request for holding
a Strategic Planning Session in 2019 has been approved. You may recall that
the request built in flexibility as to a 2 or 3 day schedule, in view of
the FY19 budget and the 2018 SPS schedule (taking into account that the day
we had on Bylaws review was a one-off). From our request, I understand that
ICANN org has recommended that the Board approve a full 2-day face-to-face
meeting of the Council, to be held separately from an ICANN Public Meeting.
I also understand that the ABR process was highly competitive, with 55
applications received, and that most requests were scaled back to some
degree. I personally believe we've done well here to get the 2 full days,
and I'm confident that the next Council leadership team and Council can
make good use of this to continue the professionalisation and learning
process.

We have too much on our collective plates right now to begin planning, but
I would suggest that Rafik, Donna and I give some preliminary thought to
the logistics as our term ends, to hand over to the 2018-19 Council when it
is seated in Barcelona.

Best wishes,

Heather