[council] Strategic Planning Session 2019

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Thu May 31 07:50:20 UTC 2018

Thanks very much Heather, that sounds a sensible path forward.

The travel report outlining the cost of our Strategic Planning Session in January is [here](https://community.icann.org/display/trvlconstit/ICANN+Face-to+Face+Meeting?preview=/71603563/84224328/2018-02-01%20-%20GNSO%20NCPH%20-%20LAX.pdf). As we can see, the cost was largely down to flights; comparatively, hotel expenses were very minimal (and the per diem for each traveller even smaller than I had realised). Given this, it really is a pity that $5,000 could not be found to keep our session at three days long.

I appreciate that most requests for community support were scaled back, but they were scaled back to meet an artificially small Additional Budgetary Request envelope (0.002% of the overall budget), an amount that was set and limited by ICANN staff (personnel costs are 59% of the overall budget). The community had developed these requests in a bottom-up manner based upon demonstrated need.

Best wishes,

Ayden