[council] GNSO Council meeting with the Board at ICANN63 -urgent call for objections

Heather Forrest haforrestesq at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 23:33:33 UTC 2018

Dear Council colleagues,

I put out a call for questions for the Board some time ago and got no
response. Leadership has given this quite a bit of thought, and
particularly referred back to the ideas Rafik raised in our Strategic
Planning Session back in January about moving away from a they ask-we ask
type setup.

In the meantime, I received the agenda for the SO/AC Chairs' workshop which
falls on the Friday before ICANN63 begins, and it contains the following
discussion item:

How should ICANN's multi stakeholder model of governance and Policy
Development Process evolve to balance the increasing need for inclusivity,
accountability and transparency, with the imperative of getting our work
done and our policies developed in a more effective and timely manner, and
with the efficient utilization of ICANN’s resources?

Donna, Rafik and I propose to you all that we spend our time with the Board
workshopping this question - it would be interesting to hear their
perspective, and we have much to bring to the table in this discussion from
Council's perspective.

We're very late behind the deadline because this one got buried in my inbox
(which looks like a natural disaster as ICANN63 bears down, so apologies if
you've emailed me and haven't yet received a response) so I'll ask for a
quick call for objections. Hearing none within 24 hours, we'll send this on
to Board Ops.

Many thanks, best wishes, stay sane in the run up to Barcelona,

Heather