[council] ICANN's Legislative/Regulatory Tracker -- Recommended Improvements

Flip Petillion fpetillion at petillion.law
Mon Apr 8 14:22:59 UTC 2019

Dear All:

1.            I think valid points are being made. Dialogue is key, but I also believe the report – if quality is assured – can be a useful tool to streamline discussions and set priorities. The regulatory impact report should supplement, not replace, dialogue with ICANN’s government relations staff.

If we indeed want the report to help structure the dialogue and assist with our policy planning, it is key that the report contains correct and up-to-date information. I agree that the current approach, where the community is expected to identify errors and omissions, is inappropriate. We may expect from ICANN that it is on top of things and consults with regional experts to correctly assess the impact of new/impending legislation.

2.            It is my understanding that the Report currently focuses on Privacy/Data Protection and Cybersecurity only. Should we/ICANN org not expand the scope? For instance, it might be useful to add the proposed EU Directive on Copyright in the Digital Single Market (already approved by the European Parliament) to our watchlist, as well as regulations regarding net neutrality or geoblocking. I would expect us/ICANN to take a proactive approach on the legislative/regulatory field.

I am interested to hear your thoughts.

Best,

Flip

Flip Petillion