[council] ICANN's Legislative/Regulatory Tracker -- Recommended Improvements

Erika Mann erika at erikamann.com
Sun Jun 23 17:37:38 UTC 2019

Dear Steve -

I believe I forwarded such information about regulatory initiates, that I
believe ICANN should look into, already - in case I forgot, apologies.  I
will review my old list and will update it with new and relevant
information.

The most important initiatives for ICANN are the following in the European
Union:
- Transposition of the European Union Copyright Directive into national
laws. The European Union legislation will not be transposed into national
laws identically. This may cause difficulties for some of ICANNs
stakeholders.
- NEW - review of the eCommerce Directive. Danger is that the existing
liability exemptions for Internet providers, operators, will fall.
- New obligations to monitor and censor harmful content. Various
initiatives currently under legal considerations, in particular in the UK,
France and, to some degree, in the EU.

Kind regards,
Erika