[council] FW: GNSO-GAC Bilateral on 25 October 2021: Updated Preliminary Points from the GAC

Jeff Neuman jeff at jjnsolutions.com
Fri Oct 22 14:32:10 UTC 2021

All,

Please find enclosed some updated GAC talking points for our Bilateral meeting next week with the GAC.  I have not yet reviewed what has been updated, but I wanted to get this to everyone as soon as I could because our Bi-lateral is on Monday.

25 Oct. 2021  |  ICANN72 Bilateral Questions

Agenda (Confirmed)

  *   EPDP Phase 2 A - Status and Scope of GNSO Vote on Recommendations;
  *   Accuracy - Scoping team to kick-off after EPDP 2A is finished;
  *   DNS Abuse -  and the still open question whether policy work is envisaged by GNSO;
  *   EPDP-IGO Curative protections

EPDP Phase 2A:
Regarding EPDP Phase 2A, the GAC wishes to note the many minority statements filed and the fact that at least four expressed public policy concerns that the recommendations do not strike the right balance of protecting personal information and protecting internet users' safety and security.
The GAC considers that this outcome merits a deeper reflection on the current Policy Development Process with a view to ensuring that it is better able to reflect the views of different ICANN constituents and the public interest  - what are the GNSO Council's views on such a reflection exercise?

Accuracy:

  *   Continues to be a GAC priority topic
  *   To be handled by the upcoming GNSO Accuracy Scoping Team
  *   GAC confirmed its representation (EC and US)
  *   GNSO Council appointed a Chair for the Scoping Team (Michael Palage)
  *   Timeline is not yet clear
  *   Any further updates at this stage

DNS Abuse:

  *   A long-standing topic of interest to the GAC
  *   GAC is closely following any relevant developments
  *   Pending question on how to handle (PDP, CCWG, ...)
  *   GAC's interest in advancing community discussions, driving progress and converging views prior the launch of new gTLDs
  *   GNSO thoughts on potential next steps

EPDP IGO Curative Protections:

  *   The GAC has provided input and Advice on this topic, notably with respect to the creation of a curative mechanism which respects IGO status under international law (in particular with respect to privileges and immunities), and looks forward to a positive resolution of the current EPDP.
  *   At the same time, as the public comment period on the EPDP Initial Report will have closed yesterday (24-Oct), it may be appropriate to revisit this topic at a later occasion.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey J. Neuman
GNSO Liaison to GAC