[council] Draft letter to the Board on closed generics dialogue

Kurt Pritz kurt at kjpritz.com
Thu Apr 21 22:54:20 UTC 2022

Hi Philippe:

Two comments:

1. If the NCSG has requested that reference to their comment should be included it in the letter, then we should include it. If not, you might ask  if they want that (and if they do, include it). I don’t think it adds value at this point — but will add value as we get into the meeting set-up, the discussion scope, and the actions taken with any recommendations that come out of the meeting.

2. I personally recommend that we avoid the use of the term ‘modalities.’ I don’t know what it means and, if participating in a group tasked with identifying them, I wouldn’t know what they are. I right clicked on the word and found that Microsoft knows of no synonyms. I looked it up in a popular online dictionary and came up with:
— the quality or state of being modal;  a modal quality or attribute;
— the classification of logical propositions according to their asserting or denying the possibility, impossibility, contingency, or necessity of their content;
— one of the main avenues of sensation (such as vision);
— a usually physical therapeutic agency

Not getting the sense from there, I looked for its use in a sentence and found:
"Ineluctable modality of the visible: at least that if no more, thought through my eyes.” The New Yorker, 7 Feb. 2022

That did not help me understand the definition but did tell me a lot about the kind of people that use the word. I understand the word is commonly used in governmental settings but we needn’t adopt the custom if it is not clarifying or helpful.

Slightly more seriously, when we meet among ourselves and with the GAC, we should all understand the target and “modalities” seems too broad. It would be helpful for me (maybe it is just me) to replace the word with commonly spoken terms or to parenthetically define it.

Thanks for listening,

Kurt