[council] All of ICANN's historic and current mailing can be crawled and analyzed with a new tool

Mark Datysgeld mark at governanceprimer.com
Fri Dec 16 21:03:22 UTC 2022

Councilors,

A tool called BigBang, by the fairly well-known IG researcher Niels ten
Oever, has been built to analyze public mailing lists, particularly with
a focus on I* and similar organizations.

It can be found here:

https://datactive.github.io/bigbang/

All 614 ICANN mailing lists that have been aggregated can be found here:

https://github.com/datactive/bigbang/blob/main/examples/url_collections/mm.icann.org.txt

I don't know what implications this may have. They have pre-built
modules (Jupyter notebooks) to analyze trends in words over time,
participation by gender, and all sorts of things.

For you to evaluate.

Best,

--
Mark W. Datysgeld [markwd.website <https://markwd.website>]
Director at Governance Primer [governanceprimer.com