[council] Regarding GAC liaison position

陳曼茹 Manju Chen manju at nii.org.tw
Tue Jul 26 08:09:26 UTC 2022

Hi all,

I'd like to follow up with our discussions in last week's Council meeting
regarding opening the call for GAC liaison position.

As emphasized in my intervention, this proposal shall not be seen as
unsatisfaction for the current GAC liaison. Jeff has done an amazing job
and we are extremely grateful for his time and devotion.

However, I believe we as Council should not have one individual carrying
out 2 critical liaison roles—the GAC liaison and SupPro liaison, both
require impeccable neutrality. Again, this is not about the
capability/performance of the individual but the Council's responsibility
of making the two jobs clearly separated. We have obligations to ensure
transparency and accountability of such processes and appointments.

I proposed we open the position of GAC liaison and call for volunteers. As
the deadline for SubPro ODA has been pushed to December this year, it goes
without saying that subsequent work and discussions will continue until
next year. I think we can all agree that the Council will feel crippled
without Jeff as our SubPro ODP liaison.

I've also suggested during last week's meeting that it is time for the
Council to review the job description of GAC liaison, specifically,
considering adding term limits for the role. I believe this will be another
step towards better accountability and transparency of the GNSO Council.

Thank you for reading this lengthy email. I look forward to further
discussions!

Best,
Manju