[council] Meeting Invitation | Modifying gTLD Consensus Policies with ICANN Org, GNSO Council and SG/C Chairs | Wednesday, 04 May 2022 at 13:00 UTC

Kurt Pritz kurt at kjpritz.com
Wed May 4 05:54:41 UTC 2022

Thanks Terri and Hi Everyone:

It is likely I will miss tonight’s meeting due to a schedule conflict (the first hour anyway).

My comment on the proposed document governing Modification of gTLD Consensus Policies:

It seems incongruous that the Council can modify a Council-approved set of recommendations, but is essentially barred from having a substantive discussion on the same issues prior to the approval.

The Council role in considering policy recommendations for approval is limited to determining whether the Working Group followed the prescribed process. Given that limitation, the Council could not entertain a discussion of the possible collision between the new recommendations and existing policy. Then, according to this draft that we are considering, the instant the Council approves the recommendation, it can discuss amendment of the same recommendations.

I think the draft is fine but should make an allowance for sending the recommendations back to the Working Group before approval if the Council sees a collision with some other policy or for any other reason. The PDP should be amended to allow the Council to conduct substantive discussions in cases where the Council deems they would be efficient and are necessary.

I hope this is clear and makes sense.

Best regards,

Kurt