[council] FY 2024 Additional Budget Request Process

Steve Chan steve.chan at icann.org
Tue Nov 8 23:50:43 UTC 2022

Dear Councilors,

Many of you likely already saw the announcement<https://www.icann.org/en/announcements/details/icann-launches-fiscal-year-2024-additional-budget-request-process-17-10-2022-en> for the launch of the FY 2024 Additional Budget Request (ABR) process but nevertheless, I wanted to make sure you all are aware. As noted in the announcement, there is an informational webinar on Thursday, 08 December 2022, at 16:00 UTC, which you will need to register<https://icann.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJIocOivrTwqEt3eWWHiIJx_L1VOjXfS9-ou> for in order to join. The deadline for ABR submissions is 30 January 2023.

The Council has successfully made use of the ABR process in the past, which includes the Council’s Strategic Planning Session and travel support funding for WG leadership; both of these requests have since become part of ICANN org’s core budget and are funded annually. The other successful Council ABR that bears mentioning is the Consensus Playbook<https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/file/field-file-attach/pdp-3-4-consensus-playbook-03jul20-en.pdf>. It is worth reviewing the ABR Principles<https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=181306232&preview=/181306232/215287111/ABR%20Principles.pdf> to get a better sense of what constitutes an appropriate ABR.

Lastly, just to give you a sense of how the process has worked in the past for the Council, it generally starts with a suggestion from a Councilor and if it seems like there is general support for the idea, the idea is then fleshed out in the ABR Request Form. As the ABR deadline has generally been just after the Council’s SPS in January, the SPS has been utilized as the last call for comments/suggestions/objections to the draft ABRs. If you would like to suggest any Council ABRs, I would encourage you to share with the Council list.

If you have any questions about past ABRs or the current process, please let us know.

Best,
Steve

Steven Chan

Senior Director, Policy Development Support & GNSO Relations

12025 Waterfront Drive, Suite 300
Los Angeles, CA 90094-2536

Email: steve.chan at icann.org<mailto:steve.chan at icann.org>
Skype: steve.chan55
Mobile: +1.310.339.4410

Find out more about the GNSO by visiting: https://learn.icann.org/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__learn.icann.org_&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=jLNFXvpu9gNdUeHi-G6sjWNCF9w4_AwhzzUDFZy2elE&s=o7Auz997kA-HPv9PHJCjFVZw7Pgo8krw4MxfqCwBrIU&e=>
Follow @GNSO on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ICANN_GNSO<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__twitter.com_ICANN-5FGNSO&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=jLNFXvpu9gNdUeHi-G6sjWNCF9w4_AwhzzUDFZy2elE&s=kWw4fQPNjw2lVKy1UjTxS2F0BmjEAzaDFWNmsYywbmE&e=>
Transcripts and recordings of GNSO Working Group and Council events are located on the GNSO Master Calendar <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_group-2Dactivities_calendar&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=jLNFXvpu9gNdUeHi-G6sjWNCF9w4_AwhzzUDFZy2elE&s=-L6chFfv0OperrXHHpTF722WnH3FZIutn4cS16IvpOg&e=>