[council] Motion regarding the PCRequested by the IDNs-EPDP Team

Farell FOLLY farell at benin2point0.org
Wed Nov 16 08:29:05 UTC 2022

Hello Paul

Thanks for your clarification (and thank you, too, Tomslin for jumping into the discussion).

We’ve discussed the issue again within the IDN EPDP leadership team and I would like to share below, Donna’s reply to you.

Best regards

@__f_f__
____________________________________

Lt-Colonel Farell FOLLY, Ir.

GNSO Councillor - ICANN (Los Angeles, USA).
https://www.linkedin.com/in/farellf/?locale=en_US

Dear Paul,

I understand your concerns that the revised timeline for the completion of the IDN EPDP may impact the launch date for the next round of new gTLDs. However, as there is no timeline or date certain for a next round launch it is difficult for the IDN EPDP team to factor this into our work plan.

As discussed with Council recently, I do believe that bifurcating our work and prioritising the top-level IDN related recommendations is important so that those recommendations are available to be included in the implementation planning for SubPro and mitigating possible delays to that process. The IDN EPDP Team is committed to meeting the revised timelines in the Project Change Request (PCR) for Phase 1.

As also discussed with Council, the Phase 2 publication dates are deliberately conservative to avoid the need to submit another PCR, but primarily because we cannot commence deliberation of many of the charter questions until we undertake additional data collection efforts including information from Contracted Parties TechOps Group about the viability of applying the same entity principle to the ‘registrant’ at the second level. I hope to have a better understanding of these issues by mid-next year and at that time I can update the Council on our latest information.

I noted during the call with Council that we may, at some point, request the opportunity for the IDN EPDP Team to conduct dedicated work and make substantive progress on our deliberation, including the possibility of a dedicated face-to-face meeting. Should it become evident in the future that the launch of the next new gTLD round is dependent upon the completion of the IDN EPDP, I will likely make such a request as well as seek guidance from the Council on how to speed up the work.

Regards,
Donna Austin