[council] Post Oct Council meeting - Motion vs Letter as ODA response to the Board

Aikman-Scalese, Anne AAikman at lewisroca.com
Tue Oct 25 17:09:14 UTC 2022

Many thanks Sebastien for your concise description of the options.  It strikes me that if the Council were modifying an approved PDP Recommendation (prior to Board approval), a Supermajority would be required under ByLaws Article 11 Section 3(i)xi - See page 41 of the Operating Procedures.

Unless I am mistaken, Council is not modifying the SSAD EPDP Recommendation, but is rather saying that there is "no objection" to the trial run of the lighter WhoIs Disclosure System.  As far as I know, there is no actual change to Council's Recommendation to the Board on the EPDP.  Is that correct?

Given the above scenario, it strikes me that the "no objection" letter is the more appropriate format for addressing the proposed WhoIs Disclosure System.  However, I would also think that counselors who want to vote on the "No Objection" letter (by simple majority) would want to know
(1) for how long the WDS will be in place and tested and
(2) when the results of the experiment will be reported back to the Council.

Separately, I believe you have correspondence with Brian Beckham of WIPO and Owen Smigelski from NameCheap as to the issues around access to the WDS for UDRP providers and the problems that could cause for registrars.

Obviously I am a non-voting member of Council and am only raising the above for consideration by Leadership and voting members.

Thank you,
Anne

Anne E. Aikman-Scalese

Of Counsel