[council] Strategic Planning Session Action Items - States Updates for #1 and #2

Steve Chan steve.chan at icann.org
Mon Jun 26 21:52:22 UTC 2023

Dear Councilors,

Staff recently held one of its regular coordination calls with Council leadership and we identified two action items from the Council’s Strategic Planning Session (SPS) that we collectively consider complete. The first action item is: “Proposed Action Item #1: Organize session with the ICANN Board to exchange information on how planning, management and scheduling of work is done with the objective to enhance mutual understanding and transparency. This would include a presentation by the Council of its Portfolio Management Tools.”

Update: During an ICANN Board workshop a few months ago, your GNSO Support staff provided to the Board an overview of the Portfolio/Program/Project Management toolkit that the Council uses to manage its work. The update was facilitated by the Becky and Matthew, the GNSO appointed Board members, and was very well received. So well-received in fact that the Board then asked that a proof of concept be developed to demonstrate how a similar set of tools might look in the context of the Board’s work.

The second action item is: “Proposed action item #2: Review current small team practices to determine if there is further transparency that can be introduced in the small team activities without changing the nature of these small teams and/or creating additional burdens for staff and/or small team members. One specific suggestion was to publicly archive small team email lists, like the Council mailing list.”

Update: As many of you will recall, a Draft GNSO Council Small Team Guidance document was developed and circulated back in March of this year. As there were no substantive comments received, I have just updated the GNSO Council Small Team Wiki page to now include this guidance document: https://community.icann.org/x/qwWlCg

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Best,
Steve

Steven Chan

Senior Director, Policy Development Support & GNSO Relations

12025 Waterfront Drive, Suite 300
Los Angeles, CA 90094-2536

Email: steve.chan at icann.org<mailto:steve.chan at icann.org>
Skype: steve.chan55
Mobile: +1.310.339.4410

Find out more about the GNSO by visiting: https://learn.icann.org/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__learn.icann.org_&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=jLNFXvpu9gNdUeHi-G6sjWNCF9w4_AwhzzUDFZy2elE&s=o7Auz997kA-HPv9PHJCjFVZw7Pgo8krw4MxfqCwBrIU&e=>
Follow @GNSO on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ICANN_GNSO<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__twitter.com_ICANN-5FGNSO&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=jLNFXvpu9gNdUeHi-G6sjWNCF9w4_AwhzzUDFZy2elE&s=kWw4fQPNjw2lVKy1UjTxS2F0BmjEAzaDFWNmsYywbmE&e=>
Transcripts and recordings of GNSO Working Group and Council events are located on the GNSO Master Calendar <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_group-2Dactivities_calendar&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=jLNFXvpu9gNdUeHi-G6sjWNCF9w4_AwhzzUDFZy2elE&s=-L6chFfv0OperrXHHpTF722WnH3FZIutn4cS16IvpOg&e=>