[council] SubPro Small Team

Anne ICANN anneicanngnso at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 17:41:58 UTC 2023

Many thanks Sebastien.   Comments for further discussion:

1.  We had talked about a small team to triage the issues and make
recommendations to the GNSO Council as to how to proceed.  I'll call this
the Triage Small Team.   The summary below sounds as though we are thinking
the small team will have broad community participation and will itself
resolve issues with the Board's concerns.  I am not sure that is possible
in the MSM process.  I think the small team must identify whether there are
policy issues that must be addressed and make a recommendation to Council
as to how to address the policy issues.  Already there are complaints in
the community about the small team process being "obscure" and not being
part of an open policy process.  Some of these surfaced in the current
meetings in connection with the Facilitated Dialogue on Closed Generics and
are well-founded.

 2. I think it will in fact save time if the small team is just a Council
subset  at the start and does nothing but the triage exercise previously
discussed and then quickly brings back its recommendations to the full
Council regarding how to proceed and how to include other SOs and ACs in
the dialogue at that point.  If not handled in this manner, there is a
significant risk of this exercise not yielding timely results  before ICANN
77.  In short,  it will appear that the Small Team itself is making
policy.

3. Personally, I would recommend convening the Triage Small Team in person
for a day or two of discussion on the 38 items as soon as possible in a
central geographic location  (with hybrid participation )  to determine (A)
if we can conclude that certain issues are actually implementation to be
addressed by the IRT and (B) where the GNSO may want to stick by its policy
recommendation and/or  let the Board override that by 2/3 vote  (per the
ByLaws) if it is so inclined at ICANN 77.  (FYI the foregoing Item Bwas a
point made in the joint CPH Board meeting that was just held at ICANN 77.)
  In this regard, i don't think there is anything that says that the Board
cannot modify a Final Report Recommendation itself due to lack of
feasibility from an organizational feasibility point of view.  Instead the
Board has said "reconvene the Sub Pro WG and modify your Recommendations"
but this is extremely inefficient and would cause great delay.  I am
concerned that the proposed Small Team structure below is essentially a
reconvening of a policy-making team  or PDP without actually calling it
that.

So I believe that Council should
(1) stick with the Triage Small Team idea previously discussed
(2) convene that Triage Small Team in person for a day or two to go through
the 38 issues.  This can be a hybrid meeting of course.  Best for Avri and
Becky to participate at this meeting.
(3) require the Triage Small Team to report back with its analysis ,
summary of each issue, and recommendation for moving forward by the Motion
deadline for the April GNSO Council meeting.

Looking forward to tomorrow's discussion,
Anne

Anne Aikman-Scalese
GNSO Councilor
NomCom Non-Voting 2022-2024