[CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] [GTLD-WG] Fwd: Calltfortfeedback on proposed At-Large/ALAC positions to NewtgTLDtSubsequent Procedures Supplemental Initial Report

Jonathan Zuck JZuck at innovatorsnetwork.org
Mon Dec 17 12:48:50 UTC 2018

I think we need to be very careful with the notion that “a lot of work was put into the comment so we shouldn’t change it.” That’s a slippery slope that I believe even Justine in this case would prefer to avoid.

That said, we’ve had a pretty full throated discussion of CW’s proposal and did not reach a level of support that would justify a call for consensus. Justine’s draft DOES condemn auctions for the flaws that Christopher identifies but we also have to deal with the reality that rich entities have a lot of ways to win so we need to focus on the edge cases we care about and maximize protections in those cases, such applications from underserved regions and CPEs. Truthfully, as Alan and Alexander stated, in MOST cases there will not even be a clear winner from a public interest standpoint so a formally objective process will be replaced by a horrendously political subjective one to no real end. We really don’t want some panel discussing whether .Photography should go to Donuts or Affilias.

However, I continue to believe that the Vickrey auction (as the method of last resort) has the potential at least to address some of the most egregious behavior from the 2012 round that is likely to expand in future rounds. While we would be alone in trying to throw out auctions altogether, we have allies  and leverage in efforts to decrease the incentives to speculate and game the system. I suggest we focus hard on those opportunities and on underserved regions and CPEs and not fold so easily as Carlton suggests took place last time.

Just some thoughts.