[CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] At-Large Workspace: Initial Report on the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Policy Development Process (Overarching Issues & Work Tracks 1-4)

Holly Raiche h.raiche at internode.on.net
Tue Jul 24 05:35:13 UTC 2018

Thanks Olivier for the link.

I’ve had a quick look at the report, and concentrated on Annex C - the actual recommendations, etc.

My suggestion is that, at least on this call, identify the areas that we want to focus on - that are about the interests of users .  Clearly each heading has lots of specifics on recommendations, options.   But if we can at least identify the issues we want to focus on, it will narrow down our task, and may be even assign areas to different WG members?

This is my suggested list - with the heading as per the Annex. I am anticipating others will have different views of what areas we should concentrate on, but this largely reflects the areas ALAC has commented on before.

Holly

Annex C: Table of Recommendations, Options and Questions:

Suggested Areas for ALAC Comments

Continuing Subsequent Procedures (Cl 2.2.1ff)

·      In general, does ALAC  agree there should be no changes to existing policy calling for subsequent application rounds

·      Should there be success metrics (see also

Applicant support – Cl 2.5.4.e – also asking about metrics – what does success look like? And Evaluation criteria

Different TLD Types (c. 2.2.4)

·      Should the different categories in the 2012 Guidebook be retained (e.g., standard,  community based)

Global Public Interest (Cl 2.3.2)

·      Should there continue to be PICS – mandatory or voluntary?

Applicant Freedom of Expression (Cl 2.3.3)

·      Do we want to say anything??

Universal Acceptance (Cl 2.3.4)

·      Any further work need to be done by the Universal Acceptance Initiative for IDNs

Applicant Guidebook (2.4.1)

·      Changes needed to make it more accessible/comprehensible?

Communications (Cl 242)

·      Range of suggestions on education and outreach. (There is also some recommendations on outreach and awareness Under Application (Cl 2.5.1)

Variable Fees (Cl 2.5.1)

·      Differing fees for different types of applications

Applicant Support (Cl 2.5.4)

·      About applicant support including global outreach

·      Should there be a dedicated round for developing countries?

Reserved Names (Cl 2.7.1)

·      Asking about the use of two character strings at the top level

Registrant Protection (Cl 2.7.2) ??

·      Different screening requirements for different types of applicants

Closed Generics(Cl 2.7.3)

·      Closed generics with PICS

String Similarity (Cl 2.7.4)

·      Prohibition on similar strings

·      Community  Priority Evaluations

Stability and Security

·      Support SSAC recommendations

Community Applications (Cl 2.9.1)

·      Evaluation needs to be more transparent and predictable and developed before evaluation