[CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] [GTLD-WG] Verisign Dissing Domainers?

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Tue Nov 6 00:02:48 UTC 2018

On 02/11/2018 20:43, Greg Shatan wrote:
> This post is actually taking aim primarily at REGISTRARS who buy huge
> numbers of .com domains at wholesale ($7.85 per domain) and then hold
> them, in order to try and sell them later for a premium price. That’s
> not really dissing domainers in the general sense, just these
> registrar-domainers.

[...snip...]

> While this is not “insider trading,” it is really a form of diversion
> based on insider access — the registrars abuse their privileged
> position to buy cheap and to buy before any “regular” registrant (even
> a domainer) can, and then they hold this portfolio and charge
> secondary-market prices for domains that are not really in the
> secondary market. Registrars’ unique ability to buy domain names
> directly from the registries was never meant to produce this result.
> This is a bug, not a feature. The end user domainers should really be
> pissed off at the registrar-domainers, not at Verisign. (Of course,
> they are permanently pissed off at Verisign, especially with a price
> increase in their “commodity.”)

As a coincidence, I had a discussion about that very problem with a
domainer I was speaking to in Barcelona (yes, I speak to domainers too
:-). He was furious about having several dozen domains being picked up
and re-registered by the registrar he had bought them from, whom he
qualified as stealing these domain names from him. I wonder whether he
shared his story with the blog's author. When I asked him why he did not
transfer his portfolio to another registrar his response was that moving
several thousand domains from one registrar to another was complex and
costly especially since some included other packages.
Kindest regards,

Olivier