[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] Next possible move related to GDPR

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Mon Sep 3 19:37:12 UTC 2018

Evan, that is fine for a report, but it is less clear what that means
for participation in a process such as the edpd.

Let us hypothesize that there are 4 billion users and 2% of them are
gTLD registrants (80,000,000). Does that mean that Hadia and I should
push strongly for law enforcement and cybersecurity professionals to
have good access most of the time, but for 2% of the time we strongly
support those who want to minimize their access because they do not
believe that there is sufficient justification to infringe on
registrant privacy (ie the "privacy fetishists  ;-) )?

That will not give us much credibility!

Remember, it is not a case of nit providing privacy for those who are
granted those rights under GDPR or similar legislation. That is a given!

Alan