[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] Next possible move related to GDPR

Evan Leibovitch evanleibovitch at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 21:52:42 UTC 2018

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018, 3:38 PM Alan Greenberg, <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca>
wrote:

> Let us hypothesize that there are 4 billion users and 2% of them are
> gTLD registrants (80,000,000). Does that mean that Hadia and I should
> push strongly for law enforcement and cybersecurity professionals to
> have good access most of the time, but for 2% of the time we strongly
> support those who want to minimize their access because they do not
> believe that there is sufficient justification to infringe on
> registrant privacy (ie the "privacy fetishists  ;-) )?

If that is the split, 98 to 2... Given what I originally said, that clearly
falls under "rough consensus", if the determination is clear on what the
non-registrant end user PoV is.

Consensus does not demand unanimity. Never did. But that balance is pretty
overwhelming.

That will not give us much credibility!

I disagree. Credibility is based on honesty and sincerity, not dogmatism.
The expectation that the global end user community speaks with a monolithic
single viewpoint is what isn't credible.

Cheers,
Evan