[CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] [GTLD-WG] WIPO FAQ page on GDPR and its impact on the UDRP.

Greg Shatan greg at isoc-ny.org
Mon Sep 3 21:55:48 UTC 2018

Theo,

Thanks.  That wasn't my question, though; I know how to find decisions (and
the statistics page).  The question was whether this is a tally of
decisions per month, or filings per month.  (The statistics page does not
say.)  If it is filings, it gives us a look at the recent filing behavior
of complainants.  If it is decisions, then it reflects filings that were
made some months ago.  These could include numerous filings based on
investigations that took place prior to May 25.  In any event, the effect
of the partial WHOIS blackout is not necessarily a precipitous change, and
not necessarily one reflected in such a blunt-force statistic as number of
cases (filed/decided?) per month.  In my view, it is more likely a
degradation over time (as third party WHOIS databases degrade in accuracy
and completeness) and a constellation of secondary effects (in addition to
those mentioned, fewer attempts to negotiate a resolution prior to filing
(since one would have little idea who one would be dealing with), higher
expenses associated with making a case, a possible uptick in litigations
(due to changing costs and availability of information), a possibility that
registries and registrars will have to deal with litigations in a number of
ways (discovery requests, liability issues, in rem cases (cases against the
domain name rather than the registrant)), etc.

As for how you determine #1 (The potential complainant won't be able to
tell whether the registrant may have a legitimate interest in the domain
name, and whether that right predates the complainant's rights.  This could
result in cases being filed that wouldn't be filed with better
information.)  The identity of the registrant is key, along with the date
the domain name was registered by (or transferred to) the registrant), and
the contents of the website (if there is one).  All of these would be
weighed and considered, along with any information one could glean based on
this data.  But without the name, it's much harder to make a reasoned
judgment call.

If the registrant's business name (or more rarely, personal name) is
identical or related to the domain name, that could  be an indicator of
legitimate rights in the domain.  This could then lead to an investigation
to learn more about the registrant.  Depending on the investigation, it
could be the end of the case, or it could make the case stronger.  More
information will also help the complainant feel more comfortable about
contacting the registrant to see if an amicable resolution can be reached.
This can also help avoid potential RDNH cases, which will be less obvious
and harder to identify now.

Cybersquatting is a problem for a lot of actors.  However, brandowners are
at the "tip of the spear" in many respects.  Those other actors depend in
significant part on brandowners' efforts to monitor, investigate and shut
down cybersquatters -- because it's the companies' trademarks that are
being squatted.  There are a variety of avenues to shut down
cybersquatters, and the UDRP is a primary avenue.  A lot of cybersquatting
situations involve considerably more than cybersquatting, such as fake
websites and emails using stolen content, phishing, spearphishing, fraud,
theft, counterfeiting, distribution of malware, spam, etc.  This could
suggest other avenues aside from UDRP as better choices to respond,
including providing information for civil or criminal investigations,
alerting registrars to Terms of Service violations, etc.  Precisely because
it can be complex, the crippling of any one solution vector could have
secondary effects.  Precisely because its complex, we all have to work
harder to understand it and keep up with it.

While the brandowners are the ones engaged in enforcement, it's the
end-users who are the victims.  Whether it's the use of a typosquatted
domain to fool a bank into sending money to a fraudulent bank account, the
theft of content which is then used to defraud consumers, redirecting
consumers to dangerous sites or to sites selling counterfeit goods, etc.,
etc.

Best regards,

Greg

.