[CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] [GTLD-WG] Board resolution regarding .amazon

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 16:22:43 UTC 2018

Its interesting, the idea that the At-Large's role may not be to advocate
'prevention' but, from the foregoing, 'accommodation'.  I tend to agree
here.

The facts on the ground determine the state of play and not an emotional or
nostalgic rumination.

I have argued that unless someone will tell me how, in policy and absent a
commercial transaction, to repatriate, say jamaica.com to the benefit of us
Jamaicans, it is a fool's gold.

And to hell with them suckers, even the black-green-and-gold Jamaicans,
resident in Jamaica, Queens, NY! Let 'em look out for themselves. Sure, it
likely that we share interests. But I don't think I need to tell you I need
no persuasion to favour the interests of the folks in Kingston, Jamaica,
whatever those may be. [it will come to you after awhile why I juxtaposed
'Kingston' there! :-)].

The genie is out the bottle and may not be returned. At least not if we
must act on principle.

I accept as fate that we all don't arrive at that damascene moment in the
same moment of time. But if we can reasonably accept that the moment will
come and, with it, likely conflicts, we could accept that we must have a
way to moderate, even prevent, the conflict. Then maybe the idea of picking
a winner in a broad category and in advance becomes the winning hand.  This
is something I had always hoped the At-Large constituency is best
positioned to advance.

Some of us - I believe I can speak for Evan and a few others - have studied
the AGB and its attempt to categorize. We have always held that certain
categories ought to be prioritized for delegation of a string. Some of us
have long argued that it is the category of *users* that ought to be
prioritized in what we defined as 'community' in the AGB.  We argued
contemporaneously that what emerged from the attempt to prioritize a
'community applicant' was inevitable. It was manifest that as defined and
proceduralized in the AGB, we would have provided a perfect foil for that
blind-man-and-the-elephant exercise. His prior knowledge and immediate
perception - and the end result of his cogitation - all depended on where
he first made contact with the elephant. We predicted that different panels
looking at the same set of facts and coming to different conclusions was
inevitable. The problem was always definitional.

Defining and prioritizing deserving groups for tld access requires an
affirmative action; the close definition of such groups. That is a
political act. And those in ascendancy, just like in the realm of politics
politics, simply cannot accept that.

Here's the other thing. If you define those and accept the proposition that
they must be prioritized for string delegation, you won't need rounds to
achieve that outcome.

It is what it is.

-Carlton

*Carlton A Samuels*

*Mobile: 876-818-1799Strategy, Process, Governance, Assessment & Turnaround*