[CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] DRAFT ALAC EPDP Advice

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Sat Apr 6 21:14:36 UTC 2019

On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 at 14:41, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:

> I hear you loud and clear, but if we are being realistic, I think the
> level of representation that exist within the ePDP may be a factor on how
> far one can push these things. I have heard a couple of times that the
> numbers don't matter but how loud we  "constructively" scream, well
> within ICANN, that's probably nothing more than a good motivational speech.

This is a truism for far more than this PDP. ;-)

I agree with and support Carlton's and Siva's PoV.

Seun, we KNOW from experience that our advice usually falls on deaf ears,
especially when it runs afoul of industry entitlement. We are heeded when
convenient and bypassed when not. As such, it is frustrating to me to
encounter the all-too-frequent argument that we should tone down our views
with the aim of being "realistic", that our opening position be one of
compromise.  Those wanting to act in the corporate interest rather than the
public interest have historically lacked such a sense of chivalry. As a
result this tactic is proven to fail, let's not keep repeating it.

If arguments strongly asserting (our collective view of) the public
interest are "unrealistic", then that speaks more to ICANN's reality than
our own.

--
Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
@evanleibovitch or @el56