[CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] DRAFT ALAC EPDP Advice

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 17:09:03 UTC 2019

Brotherman, see my responses inline.

==============================
*Carlton A Samuels*

*Mobile: 876-818-1799Strategy, Process, Governance, Assessment & Turnaround*
=============================

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 1:40 PM Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Carlton,
>
> I hear you loud and clear, but if we are being realistic, I think the
> level of representation that exist within the ePDP may be a factor on how
> far one can push these things. I have heard a couple of times that the
> numbers don't matter but how loud we  "constructively" scream, well
> within ICANN, that's probably nothing more than a good motivational speech.

True, numbers do matter.  And yes, they truly matter for one reason you
implied; managed outcomes.

> Attempts has been made to get this through via the ePDP without luck

It is what it is because numbers matter. And if you cannot convince enough
'votes' to peel with you then all that is left is the moral high ground.
Leaves you with one tool, moral outrage.  We could have acted up, carried
on, publish even a mild statement of 'concern'. Exercise* our *nuclear
option; go on record as not endorsing Phase 1 outcome!

> and since ALAC practically has a milk teeth on ePDP, I don't think it will
> be out of order to utilize that which we've always been reminded of as
> being our role, which is to advice;

When we ceded the moral high ground we effortlessly messaged these were
"nice-to- haves".

> hopefully there are still some permanent teeth left in there.

Yeah, but if results matter then we're back in the lane where the Board
response is pre-ordained; a shrug of the shoulders and a 'what can I tell
ya, we think your gripes have merit but we can hardly go against the
consensus position of the WG, can we? Plus  one out of three of your issues
still in play. It ain't all that bad!' The end.