[CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] DRAFT ALAC EPDP Advice

Bastiaan Goslings bastiaan.goslings at ams-ix.net
Sun Apr 7 06:02:34 UTC 2019

Hi Alan,

> On 5 Apr 2019, at 21:31, Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca> wrote:
>
> Bastiaan, let me understand. What we are asking
> for is an opportunity for the EPDP to have a
> discussion weighing the pros and cons  - the
> balancing consideration called for under GDPR in
> deciding what data needs to be redacted.

The way I read the draft advise we are arguing for a lot more.

> So you are against the EPDP using the balance
> test prescribed by GDPR - something that was not done during Phase 1?

I’m not sure where you got that from, me supposedly being 'against the EPDP using the balance test prescribed by GDPR’. Let me reiterate myself:

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/cpwg/2019-March/000986.html

I think I am pretty clear there: while I might disagree with you and others on the substance of the topic, if it was agreed up, based on 'the recollection of the ALAC and SSAC as well as the EPDP Chair’, that the (non-) necessity of geo distinction of registrants would be further discussed and decided on in phase 2, then I will most certainly support us reminding the board of that. But, again, that is not (only) what the draft advice is arguing for IMO.

thanks
Bastiaan