[CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] [GTLD-WG] Final version of the ALAC Advice regarding the EPDP

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Mon Apr 15 15:48:27 UTC 2019

At 15/04/2019 02:19 AM, Bastiaan Goslings wrote:
>Thanks for this - while I personally cannot
>support the ratification of the draft advice
>with a ‘yes’, it does look a lot better than
>earlier versions. For now my intention is to ‘abstain’.

That's fine.

>In terms of wording/grammar:
>
>- On page 2, 'At the time the report was issued,
>there was also an outstanding question to the
>EPDP legal counsel whether ICANN’s presence in
>the EU imply that the GDPR apply ALL personal
>data regardless of location’ (et; )
>
>I think it should be ‘implies’ instead of
>‘imply’, ‘applies’ in stead of
>‘apply’, and there needs to be a ’to’ after the ‘applies’.

Thanks. Fixed.

>- On page 3, with regard to the advice itself,
>'The ALAC advises the Board to request that the
>issue of legal/natural differentiation be
>discussed during the EPDP Phase 2 explicitly
>considering the competing needs of those using
>the data for cyber-security and other legitimate purposes.'
>
> From the sentence it is not clear (to me) what the ‘competing’ refers to.

It is competing against the issues of cheap,
easy, risk-free implelemtation for contracted
parties. I have now added those words in the
statement above about "balancing". Good catch.

>- On page 4, part of the concluding remarks,
>'The ALAC believes that the issues being raised
>here have not received sufficient full discussion’.
>
>‘Received sufficient full discussion’ sounds
>strange to me. Maybe change into ‘The ALAC
>believes that the issues being raised here have
>not been sufficiently discussed’ ?

FULL is the critical word here. There HAS been
lots of discussion, but not all of the issues
entered into the outcome. When SSAC, for
instance, raised the issue of considering the
needs of those using data, it was discarded as an
issue for access, but before we get to access,
there needs to be a determination of what data
needs to be redacted in the first place. Although
there are increasing reports on the impact of the
Temp Spec redaction, some were presented to the group but never discussed.

>Anyway, thanks again, and with regards
>Bastiaan

And thanks to you!

Alan