[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] Fwd: FW: Draft Comment on RA Renewals

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Mon Apr 29 06:17:58 UTC 2019

In the interests brokering some kind of comprise, I take up Greg's offer
to make a suggestion on beefing up the last sentence of his proposal re:
ICANN monitoring the impact of price increases.

I would suggest retaining the price caps but raising them slightly and
then have a periodic review that could either raise or lower the caps.

e.g. price cap raised to 12% (15?) and reviewed after 5 )10?) years.
That would make everybody equally unhappy. Good political compromise.

My second choice would be Greg's suggestion that ICANN reserve the right
to roll back price increases deemed to be abusive -- but rolling back
price increases would be really controversial if it ever came to pass.

In addition, I would limit the statement to .org and add the comment
already put forward by Maureen re: .asia. I have not seen any strong
arguments for retaining price caps on .biz .info. I think throwing all
these thing together in one pot has been disingenuous. I realize the
goal was standardization but the timing seems to be wrong.

Marita