[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] Further Revised Draft Statement on .ORG Renewal

Greg Shatan greg at isoc-ny.org
Tue Apr 30 17:58:31 UTC 2019

I would not place much weight on the slew of comments sent in on .ORG (and
others).  Many of these are “cut-and-paste” comments with identical text.
Others are one-liners.  Some are quite ill-informed (one commenter thought
they would have to pay the RO quarterly fee, others have thought that PIR
is a for-profit organization, etc., etc.).

I assume that some commenters sincerely felt threatened.  But was this a
credible, well-founded or well-informed fear, or just a trip through a
fun-house designed to get a rise out of the commenters?   A great number of
these comments are the direct result of a well-orchestrated campaign, rife
with overblown statements and catastrophic worst-case scenarios.  In the
absence of other information, such campaigns can be quite effective in
fomenting fear and then harnessing that fear in order to flood a comments
period.  We’ve seen this before.  If you wind people up, you can get a lot
of them to go in the direction you want.

It might be too generous to say that “some lobby groups” are behind this.
It appears to be one.  A Google search revealed the “engine” used to
generate all of those identical comments, complete with four pre-loaded
variations, and cleverly engineered so that the comment will come from the
sender’s own email account and not from the “engine.”  The page is here:
https://www.internetcommerce.org/comment-org/.  There are multiple links
from other pages, blogs, social media accounts, etc., to this resource.

These campaigns  can reach out in many directions, in different places and
in different guises.  It can take a great deal of discernment to recognize
them for what they are and to resist them.  I hope that the CPWG
collectively can be discerning.

Best regards,

Greg

greg at isoc-ny.org