[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] New gTLD Applicant Support - improve it, or scrap it?

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Wed Aug 7 08:14:16 UTC 2019

On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 at 03:57, Jonathan Zuck <JZuck at innovatorsnetwork.org>
wrote:

I think the most compelling argument is jurisdiction. Right now everyone
> has ccTLDs but they are considered be basically the property of government
> which carries with it some complexity in certain parts of the world. If, on
> the other hand, I could have a privately run gTLD that resides in my legal
> jurisdiction, that might give me some advantage.

This is an interesting point.

As a way to start along this path, perhaps we could find out more about the
motivations and experiences of those who chose continental TLDs (.eu,
.africa, .asia) instead of local ccTLDs. I wonder if these registries would
be supportive of such research?

- Evan