[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] New gTLD Applicant Support - improve it, or scrap it?

Jonathan Zuck JZuck at innovatorsnetwork.org
Wed Aug 7 07:56:57 UTC 2019

I am extremely sympathetic to this perspective and most of all to the notion that we need to be more selective.  I’ve never considered it my place to impose my will on this topic but, taking my facilitator hat off,  I’m more or less in agreement with Evan on this. Community Priority Evaluation might be a little more complicated but, for the most part, folks don’t care about top level domains.

Now to be fair, some arguments have been made here and elsewhere to support end user interest in such matters, in particular how they impact the creation of local infrastructure to support the domains. I think the most compelling argument is jurisdiction. Right now everyone has ccTLDs but they are considered be basically the property of government which carries with it some complexity in certain parts of the world. If, on the other hand, I could have a privately run gTLD that resides in my legal jurisdiction, that might give me some advantage.

My local laws apply to conflicts
Conflicts can be more easily resolved in my home jurisdiction

If the domains I use frequently are all maintained elsewhere, I have a higher risk of some political squabble bringing down the sites about which I care the most.  There haven’t been a ton of examples of this, perhaps Iran, but it’s certainly a possibility and would have downstream consequences for end users.

Just a thought.